Saturday, September 22, 2007

Network Your Way To The Top Of The Business Ladder

Networking is one of the most important aspects of being a successful business person, if not the most important. Simply put, your service or product is not going to promote itself. Your own credibility will not just magically grow. Get out there and meet people, shake those hands, kiss those babies, being shy will not help your cause.

The best example I could give right now is that of attending a function or party. Now, some detractors may say that there is no point to go to these events and maybe get a chance to talk to only a few different people, maybe hand out a couple of business cards only to never hear back from anyone. I would be lying if I was to say that this does not happen, but it does......alot. But there is a reason for that, and there is a simple way to make going to that party/function very worthwhile.

For example, whenever I go to a business function I get around and talk to different people. Great, so does everybody else. I hand out my business card. Great, so does everybody else. I also receive alot of business cards. Great, so does everybody else. Whats the difference between what I do and what everybody else does? The answer is not much.

The next step, however, is the key. Within the next 7 days of meeting and exchanging business cards with anyone I meet, be it at a business function, party, charity event, so on and so forth, I will follow up and contact each person in some way, shape or form. Usually the best way I've found to do is setting up a 'LUNCH MEETING' and its great, but one of many things you can do.

For example, have you ever heard the phrase, 'lets do lunch'? Its common to hear that all the time in the business world. I say it alot, but the interesting thing about it is that when I do, I always follow up on it within the next 7 days because truly successful people keep their committments. Even if its going to be with someone who is not directly related to my industry or business, it doesn't matter, doing these kinds of things really help you make a name for yourself and can pay huge dividends in the future.

I remember this one time I met a local Restaurant manager and we exchanged cards. I followed up with him the next week and I ended up attending his own birthday function, brought a gift and had a great time(remember that following up can be in many different ways). A couple of weeks later I met with one of my clients for dinner along with 3 potential clients at this manager's restaurant. I was running late(try to avoid tardiness) and not even 5 minutes after showing up and making the introductions at the table, there came the manager. Free drinks for the entire table, good conversation, and he treated us all great.

Not very often do most people walk into a restaurant and have free complimentary drinks served by the manager personally. Lets just say, not surprisingly, I did business with all 3 potential clients at that table. Enough said. Get out there and meet people, network, last but not least, follow up.

Sam Hachem is a local business expert with a specialization in Real Estate. Sam went from being unemployed to running his own successful business practice in a short period of time. Sam has applied many different strategies to building business and success which he continues to write about today.

No comments: