Saturday, September 22, 2007

HOME::Business/Networking RSS

Whatever you do in life, you will meet people. That’s what networking is – meeting people and being effective at it. Yes – social engagements, too. You can’t be obnoxious (to me, the classic example is the insurance agent in Groundhog Day) –but if you can engage with strangers and leave a good memory, you’ve fulfilled your purpose.

1. Say ‘hello.’
I know this sounds ridiculous, but breaking through the barriers of shyness (yours and theirs) is critical. You have to be willing to talk to people. Hey, it’s not net-sitting. Speaking of sitting, don’t sit with someone you know.

2. Arrive early and leave late. This is sound business practice.

3. Here’s easily the most important tip: Be interested, not interesting. Find out what they do, how come they’re there, how can you help them. Then they’ll ask you what you do. The more you listen, the more your words are heard.

4. Spend time with people you think you’d like to spend time with. Might as well. Don’t sell out on relationships just for the maybe of business.

5. Everyone talks about an elevator speech. Sometimes at networking events, you are asked (along with everyone else) to introduce yourself. You should have a 30-second talk ready. But that’s not all.

6. In your 30-seconds, don’t say what you do. No one cares. Say what they get. This applies everywhere and is just an extension of “be interested, not interesting.” Even the title of this article is about succeeding – it’s about you, not it.

7. And here is something you don’t often hear about networking. Develop a 10-second talk. For example, “I’m a coach; I help people get what they want.”

8. And develop a 10-second closing hook. If you are among a group of people introducing yourself, how will you be remembered? One of the best hooks I’ve ever heard was given by a man with an air purifying business. He finished saying his piece and then took an audibly deep breath and said, “Ahhh.” I sometimes say, “ I don’t give lip service, I give Lipp Service.”

9. Business card exchange is absurd. Cards migrate from the center of your desk to an edge to a center drawer and then to a non-existent memory. Don’t take a card unless you will follow up on it. When I take a card, I tell people that I communicate with them and then I add them to my email list. This is a kind of permission to be in communication.

10. Don’t wait. Be in communication within 48 hours. If you tell someone you’ll call them, call within 48 hours.

No comments: